Sunday 18 August 2013

Cucamelons


This year we have grown cucamelons (or my prefered name mouse melons). It's a new vegetable to me. It's basically a tiny little cucumber that looks like a dolls house sized watermelon. I have to say on first taste I was not impressed, although others loved it. It's quite bitter with a lemony cucumber taste.
What to do with them? As I am a fan of pickles I decided to work out how to do just that and I must say I am much more impressed with the little fruit now. Yum!

To make pickled cucamelons is simple:
The liquid is 1/2 water to 1/2 vinegar (1/2 distilled vinegar, 1/2 white wine vinegar). Add salt, peppercorns and dill. Bring to a rolling boil, add the cucamelons, bring back to the boil for a minute or two then stuff into sterilised jars. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment